After Zumba today I stopped by a local grocery store and picked up a few things to throw into a pot and call soup. I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I bought a few things I knew would be safe … Cabbage, Yellow squash, and spinach. s luck would have it, what I made was quite good and worthy of blogging.
4 cups Trader Joe's Turkey Broth (or equivalent)
3 cups cooked and chopped leftover turkey
2 cups chopped cabbage (I used one small head, minus the core)
2 cups fresh baby spinach
2 yellow squash, sliced
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 sprig each of fresh rosemary, sage and thyme
1/4 cup Trader Joe's quick cook barley (optional)
5 - 6 croutons
A few sprinkles of fresh parmesan
1. Pour broth into a soup pot and bring to a boil, adding cut cabbage, squash and turkey as they are ready. Cover.
2. Add fresh herbs, salt and garlic … Stir.
3. Reduce heat and simmer soup for an hour.
4. Add spinach, then the quick cook barley, if you choose to add it.
5. Simmer for 20 more minutes.
6. Place soup into bowls, add a few crunchy croutons, then lightly sprinkle parmesan on top.
Serve and enjoy!