Thursday, December 29, 2011

RECIPE: A Very Healthy Salad

I have to admit, since we are between Christmas and New years, I feel like I haven't had enough vegetables, so tonight I decided to make a big healthy salad. I will be experimenting quite a bit, so keep watching to see what crazy concoctions I come up with!
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups fresh spring salad mix
1 red ripe tomato
1 avocado
1/4 jicama
1/4 cucumber
2 ounces bleu cheese crumbles
DIRECTIONS:
1. Place lettuce in a large salad bowl. Cut tomato, avocado, cucumber and jicama into small pieces and add to greens. Throw in bleu cheese crumbles.
DRESSING:
3/4 cup pure virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil (It would be very easy to use Wildtree Basil Pesto instead!)
Sea salt & pepper to taste
Pour in 1/8 cup dressing and toss. Add more as desired. Toss, plate and enjoy!
If you're wanting to try this as a main course it would be excellent with some grilled chicken or steak thrown on top!
For more information about Wildtree products, click here: Wildtree

1 comment:

  1. I've felt the exact same way all week! Just can't seem to get enough vegetables in my tummy :) Your salad looks delicious. I used to love blue cheese crumbled up in salads when I was a kid. Have you ever had it with yam fries? SO good!

    - Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit

    ReplyDelete