Sunday, January 6, 2013

Roasted Root Vegetables

Mom and I went to the grocery store last night to get a few things. It's been a while since she stocked up on even the basics, so we took our time looking around. Mom had her buggy and I had mine. I decided I wanted to try something a little different, go I googled "root vegetable recipes". Much to my surprise the very first recipe I came to was exactly what I wanted to make ... With one exception. The recipe called for white potatoes and I try to avoid them, so I decided to substitute another root vegetable ... Beets! 
I've always thought of beets as something that comes in a jar, pickled. I've eaten them, but they've never been a favorite of mine. While Conrad and I were at our favorite resort on Roatan ... CoCo View Resort, we met a wonderful couple named Mark and Claire. It didn't take us long to find many, many things in common ... Including Paleo! To make a long story short, Claire told me how delicious roasted beets are, so I decided to give them another try. Roasted beets are delicious!!!

Here's what I used:
1/2 large Rutabaga
3 Parsnips
3 Carrots
3 Beets
1 Sweet Potato
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried Basil
1/4 teaspoon Rosemary
1 tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning

Here's what I did:
1. I washed and peeled all vegetables.
2. Preheated the over to 350 degrees.
3. Sliced the carrots and parsnips. Cubed the sweet potato, rutabaga, and beets.
4. Placed all the vegetables in a 9X13 casserole dish.
5. Sprinkled veggies with pepper, basil, rosemary, and other seasonings.
6. Poured olive oil on top, then stirred veggies to evenly coat them with seasonings and oil.

7. Placed dish in oven and baked for 50 minutes, stirring at 25 minutes. Your oven may vary, so you might want to start checking them for doneness at 40 minutes, depending on how firm your want them to be.

Next time I make this dish ... And, I will make it often ... I will look for young parsnips as the ones I used were rather tough and fibrous. Since there was just two of us eating these yummy vegetables and mom was having leftovers from the night before, we had lots left. I'm thinking about making the rest into a pureed soup tonight. 

PS ... I apologize for the few photos I'm posting ... I only had my iPhone available for documenting this recipe! Next time I make this I'll take more and add them.

No comments:

Post a Comment