Friday, March 30, 2012

RECIPE: Chocolate Coconut No-Bake Candy

First and foremost I want to say HAPPY 88th BIRTHDAY to my precious dad!! I wish we could be there with you today, but we just couldn't squeeze in a trip before we leave for Switzerland on Tuesday. We sent you a box of goodies for your birthday ... Enjoy! See you soon! We love you! (We live on opposite sides of the continent!)


About this recipe and the inspiration behind it ... 


One thing I remember vividly from my childhood was the ever-popular Friday lunch at school. Seems it didn't matter if it were 1 - 5 grade in Texas 6 - 12 grade in Tennessee. The one thing they all had in common was that dessert was chocolate oatmeal no-bake cookies. Even after I became an adult, those cookies (AKA Cow Patties) were always my favorites! I looked forward to hikes with friends because I'd make them to take along as a power snack. Perhaps it's a Pavlovian response, but everyone would call or email me to see if I'd be bringing a batch along. See? We may grow older, but we never grow up!
Since those wonderfully delicious taste sensations are made with tons of sugar and raw oats, they are totally off limits these days. However ... Last night I came across a recipe that brought on a most exciting "ah-ha" moment! The ingredients are Paleo, so I thought the final product might be a suitable replacement for that beloved childhood treat. Here's the link to the video I found: Video of Coconut Honey Candy for Easter
Here's the recipe for the version I came up with last night ...
CHOCOLATE COCONUT NO-BAKE CANDY
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup Honey
1 cup Almond Butter
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
1 tablespoon Vanilla
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened Coconut
1/2 cup chopped Pecans
DIRECTIONS:
1. Line an 8" X 8" pan with parchment paper. I couldn't find mine, so I used "Press N Seal" with the sticky side down. It works GREAT!!
2. Pour honey into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. When honey boils, continue to stir constantly for two minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Stir in almond butter until it melts, then add cocoa powder and vanilla, stirring well. Add coconut and pecans, stirring well.
5. Once everything is well blended, pour into the lined pan and spread evenly. The mixture will be stiff, so use your fingers to press it into the corners, if needed.
6. Chill 30 - 45 minutes or until the mixture had sufficiently hardened.
7. Remove from pan, peel lining off the bottom and place on a cutting board to cut into pieces. I cut 6 strips first, turned it and cut into 6 rows, making 36 candies.
8. These are best kept in an air-tight container in the refrigerator, but will remain somewhat firm if left out for an hour or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment