Friday, March 16, 2012

RECIPE: Veggie and Cheese Breakfast Casserole

I bought a LOT of spinach at the market the other day. Some much that I was worried it would go bad before we could eat it all, so I started looking for new ways to prepare it. I already had mozzarella cheese for the zucchini dish last night, so I wanted to incorporate the remained into the dish. I found a recipe for spinach mozzarella egg bake on Kalyn's Kitchen, so I decided to see what else I had in the fridge that needed to be used. With my modifications, here's what I came up with ...
VEGGIE & CHEESE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
INGREDIENTS:
6 packed cups of organic baby Spinach
1 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
4 ounces Mushrooms - chopped
1/4 of a sweet onion - chopped
Sea Salt
Pepper
Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute
8 Eggs
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 9 X 13 casserole dish with olive oil.
2. Heat a large skillet, lightly coat with olive oil, and add all spinach at once. Stir spinach often until it's all wilted. Spread evenly in casserole dish.

3. Add a little more olive oil to your skillet and sauté the mushrooms and onions. Stir them often. You dont want them to brown - just soften.
 4. Layer the vegetables on top of the spinach, then cover with grated mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle with seasonings.

5. Beat eggs, salt, and pepper well, then pour evenly over the vegetables and cheese. 

6. Using a fork or spoon, blend ingredients lightly to insure even distribution.
7. Bake for 35 minutes. The mixture will be completely set and starting to brown. Remove from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting.

8. Cut. Plate. Serve. Enjoy!

(I served this with my  Crunchy Chewy Fruit and Nut Bars , fresh strawberries, and a Carrot Spice Smoothie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment