Thursday, March 15, 2012

RECIPE: Moroccan Marinated Chicken

I often refer to Gavan Murphy's website for cooking adventure ideas. Everything I have made from his recipes has been outstanding, so I rest assured that each new attempt will be delicious, as well. For years I trusted Southern Living cookbooks (and still do!!) but I just don't cook like a Southern gal anymore. Paleo cooking is much for rewarding, so why tamper with a good thing! (Actually, at some point I will refer back to some of my favorite Southern recipes and I will attempt to 'convert' them to Paleo.
I bought chicken breasts at the store yesterday, so I decided to try a recipe I've been curious about ... Moroccan Marinated Chicken. I paired it with some roasted zucchini filled with grape tomato halves, herbs, and mozzarella cheese ... That recipe will be posted shortly, too. Dessert was AMAZING! I made Paleo Strawberry Coconut Sorbet! Yes, I'll be posting that recipe, as well! 
***Please note***The chicken must marinate for 4 hours, so there is preparation that needs to be done in advance.

MOROCCAN MARINATED CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS:
4 large organic Chicken Breasts (Gavan used 2 whole organic chickens)
Marinade:
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon groung Coriander
2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 teaspoons Lemon Pepper
1 teaspoon organic Agave
DIRECTIONS:
Preparing/marinating the chicken ...
Combine the marinade ingredients together and blend well. (I used my immersion blender) Taste and set aside.
Preheat large skillet on high heat. Lay chicken pieces on foil or a paper towel then sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to hot pan, then add pieces of chicken to sear all sides. This should take 2 or 3 minutes per side. You may need to sear the chicken a few pieces at a time rather than all at once.

Once all the chicken is golden brown, add the chicken to the marinade and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Baking the chicken ... 
***Allow the chicken to return to room temperature to insure even cooking.***


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Place chicken pieces on a foil-lined baking dish.
If you're cooking mixed pieces of chicken you will need to pot the dark meat pieces in first, as they take longer to cook.


After the dark meat pieces have baked for 8 minutes, add white meat pieces and return to the oven for approximately 12 minutes. 


Check for doneness. I used my meat thermometer and checked the thickest part of a breast.  At 20 minutes the inside temperature of the chicken was 139 degrees, so I returned the dish back to the oven for 5more minutes. If you're checking with a meat thermometer you want the internat temperature to be 160 degrees. It's easy to tell with dark meat ... cut into the meat and see if juices next to the bone are clear. If so, it's done.

Remove the dish from the oven and allow the meat to 'rest' for at least 3 minutes. This allows for the juices to be reabsorbed back into the meat for maximum juiciness.

No comments:

Post a Comment