Tuesday, January 10, 2012

RECIPE: Baked Egg and Smoked Turkey Cups

I have seen recipes similar to this all over the Internet, but they almost always include ham. I don't eat ham, but I figured there are plenty of deli-sliced meats that would be tasty instead of ham. I was in Trader Joe's the other day and found antibiotic-free smoked turkey, so I bought some.

INGREDIENTS:
6 large eggs
6 slices smoked turkey
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup grated or crumbled cheese (your choice - I LOVE the English Cheddar with caramelized onions!!! Salem Blue Cheese crumbles are good, too!)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray muffin tin cups with olive oil, or use silicone muffin cups. (I used the silicone muffin cups from World Market. They sell them in packs of sis for $2.49.)
3. Place a piece of smoked turkey (or whatever meat you want) into the cup creating a 'cup' for the egg.
4. Carefully crack and pour one egg into each cup and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
5. Bake the egg cups for 12 - 17 minutes, depending you your preferred doneness of the egg. After about 12 minutes the whites should be firm and the yolks will be runny. We like our yolks firmer, so I baked them for 17 minutes. The edges of the turkey were a little crunchy, so I'll try 15 minutes next time. So much of this depends on your oven and your preference.
6. Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese on top and serve!
Breakfast is served! (And, yes, that's a slice of the Rosemary Olive Oil bread I made last night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment