Thursday, January 5, 2012

RECIPE: Coconut Flour Pancakes with Bananas and Pecans

I have to tell ya, I am having an absolute BLAST trying new recipes and foods I've never used before! I was afraid I was going to try some things and lose interest due to no liking what I made, but that is FAR from what I am experiencing!
I was a little sad this morning when I remembered the Savory Almond muffins were all gone, but then I got excited when I realized I had all the ingredients to try making sugarless-grainless pancakes! (I got the recipe from Primal Palate) I pulled out all the ingredients and thought something must be missing. I was totally thrilled with the final product of this dish. Try it for yourself!
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
*** [The recipe called for 1/2 dropper of liquid stevia, but I didn't use any. I thought the banana and pecan topping, along with a small amount of maple syrup would made this dish sweet enough.]
HOW I MADE THEM:
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl, blend all ingredients with a hand mixer.
2. Heat coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan or griddle to medium heat.
3. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into frying pan or griddle.
4. Cook for 2 minutes, flip, cook for 2 more minutes, repeat with the rest of the batter. ***[I only used half the batter and will be making two more tomorrow.]
THE TOPPING:
Fried Banana and Toasted Pecan Topping
INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1 banana
  • 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat.
  2. Slice banana and add to frying pan.
  3. Sear banana slices until brown and crispy on the bottom side, then flip.
  4. Add pecans to frying pan and lightly toast with the seared banana slices.
  5. Top over waffles or pancakes and serve.
I reserved half the topping for tomorrow, as well. However, I mixed the topping in with the batter, so I'll see how that goes in the morning!
(Shown here with some fresh blueberries, assorted slivers of cheeses, and a slice of capocollo.)
I will have to say ... These are super simple to make and extremely yummy! I'll definitely be making these again! (Conrad tasted them and agreed he'd definitely eat them sometime. He prefers waffles, so perhaps I'll make waffles next time.) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
**UPDATE: Friday, January 6, 2012 ... 
This morning I made two more pancakes with the leftover batter. As I mentioned yesterday I had mixed the bananas and pecans in with the batter. They were FANTASTIC!! The big difference is that I had to watch them closely because they browned quicker. Here's what they looked like:
While cooking:
Plated with blueberries, a mandarine, some cheese, and capocollo:


2 comments:

  1. I am making these right now and mine are falling apart before I can flip them :( I wonder if I did something wrong :(...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops.. i found the issue..i had forgot to add the baking soda.. they are working out wonderfully now :D bahahaha silly me! I am clearly not a cook...

    ReplyDelete