Monday, January 9, 2012

RECIPE: Stir-Fry Chicken

I have experimented with ingredients for stir-fry for years. I finally decided the simpler the better. I came up with this recipe a couple of years ago. We liked it so well I stopped experimenting.

STIR-FRY CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. organic chicken breasts
2 crowns broccoli
8 oz sliced mushrooms
4 tsp curry (I use Trader Joe's)
Sea salt & Pepper to taste
Olive oil
*Secret Ingredient #1*
*Secret Ingredient #2*
DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut broccoli, mushrooms, and chicken into bite sized pieces. Be sure to keep raw chicken away from vegetables.
2. Heat wok to medium high and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. After one minute add chicken and 2 tsp curry, stir ring occasionally to cook evenly, but not burn.
3. Once chicken is done, remove from wok and place in a bowl.
4. Add more oil, if needed, and add broccoli. Cover and cook 2 minutes on medium. Add mushrooms and 1 tsp curry. Stirring occasionally for even cooking. Cover when not stirring.
5. Once vegetables are tender, but not mushy, add chicken back into the wok and stir until well mixed. Add secret ingredient. (See below)
Secret Ingredient #1 is "Soy-Vay Island Teriyaki" from Trader Joe's. I know, I know, it's not 100% Paleo, but I am going to attempt to make a version that is. This stuff tastes so good, and it does have a lot of good ingredients in  it, but it does have some sugar. I am going to attempt to make something similar with honey or agave. (Contents: Preservative free soy sauce, water, sugar, 100% pure pineapple juice, vinegar, soy oil, sesame seeds, fresh garlic, dried onions, fresh ginger, garlic granules, sesame oil, onion powder, and ginger powder.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SECRET SAUCE RECIPE: (Secret Ingredient #2)
1/2 cup Paleo mayo
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Curry
1/2 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Agave
water
1. Spoon mayonnaise into a bowl and add all ingredients except water.
2. Mix well.
3. Add only enough water to thin the mixture out a little - I'm guessing 1 Tbsp or so. The mixture should have the consistency of thick salad dressing.
4. Spoon onto stir-fry. Enjoy!

I made a small quantity of *gasp* brown rice for Conrad, however I plated mine with the remaining spaghetti squash from the night before. I added a dash of curry and a splash of secret ingredient #1 to add oriental flavor.
Here it is ... Stir-fry chicken with broccoli and mushrooms with a side of curried spaghetti squash drizzled with secret sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment