Saturday, January 14, 2012

RECIPE: Blackberry and Banana Clafoutis

I had never even heard of a clafoutis until I discovered a recipe for one online. I wanted to make something yummy for breakfast that would last a few days and meet Paleo requirements. I didn't have the fruit the recipe called for, so I improvised.

INGREDIENTS:
4 large eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup almond flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
8 ounces blackberries
1 fairly ripe banana
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil.  Turn off heat and add honey. Give it a little stir but don't worry too much about getting it mixed well. Allow to cool.
2. Wash the blackberries and blot with a towel to remove excess moisture. Peel the banana and cut into slices. It would be great sliced or mashed - your choice!)
3. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.  I mixed mine with my new immersion blender, but a hand mixer would work well.
4. Add coconut oil/honey mixture and almond flour to the egg mixture.  Whisk or blend until smooth. Again, I used my immersion blender.
5. Butter an 8X8 glass dish. Arrange the blackberries on the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle the banana slices on top.

6. Pour the liquid mixture over the top of the fruit. (Note: the fruit will float up while it is cooking.)
7. Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes, until clafoutis is set in the center and the top is nicely browned. You know your own oven, so adjust baking time accordingly.
8. Allow to cool and then transfer to the refrigerator. Let chill for several hours and then serve. This dish is tasty warm or cold. 



2 comments:

  1. I made this today & it was very tasty! I've been seeing recipes that mix eggs & bananas, now I will try more!. Can't wait to see some of your other recipes. I did omit the honey as I have challenged myself to 30 days no sugar, dairy, or grains, it still satisfied my sweet 3pm craving. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved loved your pumpkin clafoutis recipe! Just the right degree of moisture and custardiness. I always alter recipes to what's on hand, but the basic is awesome and tasty.
    Can't wait to taste this one with some blueberries.

    ReplyDelete