Thursday, January 19, 2012

SUGAR: Do I Still Use It?

Sugar. This addictive sweet goodness 'badness' seems to be everywhere these days. It's hidden in condiments. It's stuffed into cereals by the bushel. (Of course, we don't eat grains anyway, so does that really matter?) Legend has it that McDonalds seasons their forever popular french fries with a blend containing sugar. Statistics say humans consume over 150 pounds of sugar per person per year. People, that's just not acceptable! The overly sweet - overly processed crap is making us fat AND sick!

With that said, there are still a few good uses for sugar. As I find them I'll be posting them here. I can think of a couple of uses for sugar ...
1. Hummingbird nectar
2. Sugar rub for dry skin. Apparently, blended with olive oil, it makes a great exfoliant and moisturizer. Who knew!? I've not tried it, but I might!

We have five hummingbird feeders, so I have to make nectar often, so if you see me buying a bag of sugar in the grocery store, please don't be so quick to judge me or tweet a photo. =)

Hummingbird nectar is easy to make.
1. Boil water.
2. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup sugar per cup of water.
3. Stir and let cool.
4. Fill feeders and watch the hummingbirds go wild!

Scented Sugar Scrubs are easy to make, too. Plus they cost a lot less than the manufactured varieties.
The ingredients are:
1 1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
1/2 cup olive oil
fragrance - essential oils or a splash of your favorite massage oil will do

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container such as a canning jar or a plastic container with a snap-on lid. Makes great gifts, too!

Here are a few links I found:
Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipe
Shower Gifts - Homemade Sugar Rub in Cute Jars
Sugar Scrub with Vitamin E
24 Recipes for Sugar Hand & Foot Scrubs

Stay tuned for more uses for sugar! It's certainly not fit for human consumption!

No comments:

Post a Comment