Tuesday, January 3, 2012

RECIPE: Paleo Baked Acorn Squash, Steak and Salad

The other day I was at the market and I saw a large assortment of winter squash including acorn squash, butternut squash and spaghetti squash. I decided to purchase an acorn squash and give it a try. I hate to admit it, but it's been years since I've eaten one! I had a couple of small steaks in the freezer that need to be eaten, along with a lot of lettuce, tomatoes, and a cucumber. (I'm trying to get my refrigerator ready for a big grocery run in preparation for the start of my 21 day challenge. Oh, I've not written about that yet, have I? I will do that shortly!
WHAT I USED:
an acorn squash
pure maple syrup
coconut oil
chinese five spice
a dash of salt
a dash of cinnamon
two 5.25" Karhai woks
WHAT I DID:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash acorn squash, cut it in half from stem to base.
3. Spoon out seeds and stringy stuff, then rinse well.
4. Melt coconut oil in microwave for 20+ seconds. Add syrup and chinese five spice. After tasting it I decided to spice it up a little by adding a dash of salt and cinnamon.
5. Score the meat of the squash with a sharp knife, but be careful not to cut through the skin. 
6. Spoon 1/2 coconut oil mixture into each half of the squash, drizzling some over the score marks.
7. Bake for 1:10 at 400 degrees. After 30 minutes or so I opened the oven door to check on them and ended up spooning some of the liquid along the top edges to keep it from getting dry or burned.
WHAT ELSE WAS ON THE PLATE?
Along with the acorn squash I pan seared, then baked a couple of small steaks. I had a little bacon fat left from breakfast, so I melted it in the 9.75" karhai wok. I sprinkled sea salt and fresh ground pepper on the steak, placing seasoned side down in the wok, then seasoned the top. I seared them for five minutes each side, then put the wok in the oven the last ten minutes. I let the steak and the squash rest for five minutes before plating them. 
This image is after the steaks have been seared, but before baked for ten minutes.
AND?
While the steaks were in the oven along side the squash, I quickly threw a salad together of spring greens, cucumber, and tomato. 
Dinner is plated!
(I added a few crumbles of bleu cheese and made a dressing of basil pesto, a little mayo, and some coconut milk. Very light and refreshing!)






No comments:

Post a Comment