Sunday, January 22, 2012

RECIPE: Roasted Acorn Squash with Pecans

Along with the Almond Crusted Chicken, I prepared acorn squash a little differently from how I prepared it a couple of weeks ago. I love honey. I love ginger. I love pecans. This combination seemed like a perfect compliment for an acorn squash.

Roasted Acorn Squash with Pecans
INGREDIENTS:
1 Acorn squash
2 tablespoons Coconut oil (or butter)
2 tablespoons pure Maple syrup
1 tablespoon fresh grated Ginger
2 tablespoons chopped Pecans
Sea Salt
 DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash acorn squash and cut it in half from stem to end. Scrape out the seeds and stringy stuff.
3. Place halves in an oven safe baking dish. I prefer to use two small Karhai woks.
4. Put coconut oil (or butter), grated ginger, maple syrup, and a sprinkle of sea salt in the cavity of each squash half.
4. Bake for approximately 1 1/4 hours. At the one hour mark, add the chopped pecan pieces to the mixture in the cavities of the squash. Check tenderness. A fork should easily pierce through the pulp of the squash.
(Baking time can be cut to approximately 20 minutes by following the easy steps listed below.)
***NOTE*** I needed for these squash to be ready sooner, so I took a shortcut that worked very well. Before I put them in the oven I put them in a baking dish with an inch of water in it, then put them in the microwave for 10 minutes. I took them out of the microwave safe dish, put them in the small stainless steel woks and put them in the oven for 10 minutes, then added the pecans and baked for 10 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment