Tuesday, January 10, 2012

RECIPE: Mayonnaise!

Something I've always wanted to make, but afraid to try is mayonnaise. Silly, huh! All it is is olive oil, en egg, lemon juice, dry mustard, and salt ... how difficult could that be?
Well, if you do it correctly and patiently, it's pretty darned easy, actually! Here's how I did it:
INGREDIENTS:
1 large egg (room temperature)
2 Tbsp lemon juice (room temperature)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp + a dash of sea salt
1/4 cup + 1 cup light olive oil (also at room temperature)
... Can you tell it's important for the ingredients to be at ROOM TEMPERATURE?? That's the key!
DIRECTIONS:
1. Crack open and pour the egg into your blender, then add lemon juice, dry mustard, sea salt, and 2/4 cop olive oil.
2. Blend for 30 - 45 seconds until everything is well mixed.
3. Very, VERY slowly drizzle the remaining 1 cup of olive oil into the mixture, blending constantly. It took me almost four minutes to pour the oil in ... See? I mean SLOWLY!!!
The sides of your blender will be coated with a thick, creamy white substance, but don't stop mixing until every last drop has been blended into the mixture.
I'm a bit of a mayonnaise snob, and this is the prettiest and tastiest mayonnaise I've ever had! I assure you, I won't be buying any at a grocery store if I can at all help it!

OH! Remember the rosemary olive oil bread I made last night? And the smoked turkey I used in breakfast recipe this morning?
And the Secret Sauce I drizzled over the stir-fry chicken the night before? Add some white sweet potato slices and that was dinner tonight!

The recipe for the sweet potatoes will be posted next!

2 comments:

  1. Looking at this reminds me of how much I love to make butter. Super easy. You just have to be willing to do a lot of shaking. I will have to make mayo soon though. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy making butter, too! Perhaps I will make some and post the process! Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete