Thursday, January 26, 2012

RECIPE: Chocolate Chip Smoothie

For years I have jokingly said the four food groups were "round things, flat things, onions, and chocolate. I realize it's not quite that simple ... or silly ... but chocolate is a popular component in weekly meal planning. It blows my mind how people differ in how they view "dessert." I believe rich, decadent desserts are treats. Rarities. Indulgences. Not an expected end to every meal. A fruit dish, or a crumble with nuts and fruits, or even a smoothie make excellent, healthy "desserts", as well. 
This morning I had a craving for chocolate. Out of the blue, I might add. So, I decided this might be a good time to try a chocolate smoothie. What I came up with was absolutely wonderful!! In a weird way it brought back memories of one of my favorite episodes of "I Love Lucy" ... See? I told you! Weird! If you've ever seen the episode where Lucy and her best friend, Ethyl, work in the factory where they are to take frozen bananas, dip them in chocolate and then roll them in nuts, you'll know why that memory popped into my mind! Here's my recipe ... Try it and see if you have a similar experience.
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (vanilla, but chocolate would be great!!)
1 banana
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon carob chips
6 - 8 ice cubes
DIRECTIONS:
1. Put ingredients in blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Pour into your favorite insulated cup and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment